Friday, December 26, 2008

Why Harold Pinter ended up influencing a bunch of muppets



Oi! Muppet, what you doing here? No, really, it's okay to be online at the festive period. You're allowed to check your emails, I think. Someone might be sending me some very important information. Earth shattering news. They haven't, but they might.

O my,
I need Bert & Ernie to cheer me up. I've been waiting for months to wedge this video in. But it's pertinent, right? Somehow... That is how I dance, just like Burt...

Isn't it amazing that you still get spam on Christmas Day? I wonder if the sales have started in Spamland? Can I get a really cheap Business degree or 40% off some herbal v1agr1a? I hope so.


Meanwhile someone at the Abbey National wants to know my account details. Good to see someone at a bank working hard! I don't know why they need my details but apparently "is importance we know password, plese sent for securitie reasons." You'd think they'd already know my password and account number, but I'd best just do as they say. So I'm going to send all my details. Hope they solve that security issue! Lol indeed.

I have some *Christmas inappropriate* thoughts but I will sit on em until the bright and shiny new year.

But surely Bruce Forsyth is in the New Year's honours list? Arise Sir Brucey? No? No, if he goes down on his 80 year old knees he'll never get back up again.

Other news just in: Harold Pinter went out in dramatic fashion. Christmas Day, way to choose a slow news day, Sir Harold. I saw 'The Homecoming' in the West End years ago with Warren Mitchell (Alf Garnett) as the cantankerous and evil old dad, Max, & Cherie Lunghi as his son's new wife. It didn't end happily. Well as far as I could make out. It was one of those great *restricted view* seats where you can only see half the stage. Hmmm. The play itself was a bit hmmm. Made you think, but I've no idea what it made me think. Made me think I had a sore neck. Or else that I wasn't clever enough to *get it*. But maybe there wasn't any *it* to get? Maybe it just was. There was a lot of stuff about nasty brutish ignorant people. Lots of violence and shouting. Maybe that was it. Nowt deeper. Just grimness unlimited. Cheery.

As Peter Cook said, “You know, I go to the theatre to be entertained. I don’t want to see plays about rape, sodomy and drug addiction...I can get all that at home.”

"I would never use obscene language in the office. Certainly not. I kept my obscene language for the home, where it belongs." HAROLD PINTER, from the play, Moonlight

Having said that, ultimate respect for his Pinteresque style, that will live on. Especially his early literate gangster thing; his comically violent men in black suits, white shirts and black ties. Like in every Muppet filled British gangster movie since Tarantino started copying Harold's tropes & all thems idiot British filmakers started sloppycopyin Tarantino. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Guy Ritchie. Then there's Memento & every film Michael Hanke has ever made. All just biting HP's scary style in one way or another.

Pinter, the only writer that will be remembered ...................

less for his words ........................................ and more for his pauses ..................................


Bet you can't watch that vid for more than a minute. Too scary. Too bloomin odd. I'm screaming by the 5 minute point. Claustrophobia. Horror. Menace. Panic.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:58 pm

    Harold Pinter died on Christmas Eve.

    Yrs

    Pedantry Inc

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for *that* Pedantry Inc. I know now that but that was written LIVE-ish. When it was just a scrolling band thingy on BBC News 24.
    Although in pedant's corner the guardian's obit contained ??? in the bit at the end. "He is survived by his wife??? and ??? children." Though they've cleaned that up now.

    And this 'blooper' from Sky News a couple of years back: "Howard Printers, is joining us, I'm sorry the playwright Harold Pinter has died... has won the Nobel Prize."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5hcm-CZkKQ

    So. Y'know. Pig off, basically. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete